Thursday, November 20, 2008

will work for food


Mr. Homeless Man,

I'm sorry I don't have any change on me.  Usually I'd tell you that I already gave it away to that oily dude down the way but not today.  I see you sitting here nearly every day, is this a good spot?  You obviously haven't died from malnutrition so I'm going to assume it's a good spot.  Do you mind if I pull up a milk crate?  You see, the economy is an ever evolving playing field and while you may have been able to rake in enough to feed yourself by working this corner for the past 5 years you're going to have to re-evaluate your business plan.  I smell good.  I own a tooth brush and a perfect set of teeth.  I have friends with washing machines and refrigerators I use.  I can speak perfect English and I took a few debate classes while earning my degree.  I shave every morning and shower every night.  I use 2 ply toilet paper and have never gotten addicted to any habit I can't financially support.  I have a plan for my future and take steps daily to ensure it's completion.  I always smile and never cuss.  I don't ask for free handouts but for work through which I can earn my dinner.  Congress may bail you out but until then I'm sorry.

I'm your competition.

-Thomas

No comments: